Re: dpkg-source's future and relation with VCS

> On Tue, 12 Feb 2008, Russ Allbery wrote:

>> Basically, the way to do this is to do the dbs thing, I think.  The
>> structure of the .tar.gz file would be:

>>  - All content in the .tar.gz file is in a debian subdirectory as packed.
>>  - debian/patches contains a quilt series file and set of patches.
>>  - debian/upstream contains one or more .tar.gz or .tar.bz2 files plus a
>>    series file that specifies the order of unpack.
>
> This doesn't work well. Upstream tarballs inside a single .tar.gz
> requires reupload of all the upstream sources for every revision.
>
> (That's also one of the weak point of the VCS based format as implemented
> currently)

It's inherent to the VCS-based format so far as I can see.  Anyway, that's
one of the reasons why you'd want to convert to wig&pen instead for a
quilt-based package, I think.  It's a more efficient representation in
some respects.

I'm not sure how much of a problem this really is.

> The plugin architecture shouldn't assume a single tarball, it should
> receive as input the list of files contained in the .dsc and it should
> be able to use every file. This should be easy to do once the code in
> dpkg-source is factored out.

Yes, that would be nice.