Re: dpkg-source's future and relation with VCS

On Mon, Feb 11, 2008 at 12:48:19PM +0100, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
[...]
> But the complicated part comes when we try to think of interactions
> between VCS and source package format. I'd like to keep the (default)
> source package format mostly VCS agnostic but I'd like the source
> package to be easily generated from a VCS. The idea is the following:

For me this sentence is the essence of your mail: That you dislike
Joey's idea since it includes the VCS in the source package itself and
would prefer that we worked on creating a solution on top of wig&pen
instead.

Do I understand that correctly?

[...]
> I plan to write code in that direction:
> - clean up dpkg-source and move code in a Dpkg::Source API

We should definetly get started doing this since it will be benefical
for any proposal.

> - add the API required for wig&pen
> - make dpkg-source be able to generate wig&pen source package
> - then add some scripts that use the wig&pen API to generate source
>   packages from a VCS directory

The other steps will probably require us getting some common agreement
on the direction we want to go.

Gruesse,
--
Frank Lichtenheld <djpig@debian.org>