Re: dpkg metadata: packages which conflict with themselves

On Mon, 2005-03-28 at 22:31 -0500, Keith Browne wrote:

> Package: t1lib-dev
> Version: 1.3.1-9
> Section: oldlibs
> Architecture: i386
> Conflicts: t1lib0-dev, t1lib-dev (<< 1.3.1-9), t1lib1-dev, libt1-dev
> Replaces: t1lib0-dev, t1lib0 (>> 0.7.1-5), t1lib1-dev
> Provides: t1lib1-dev
>
> What I'm wondering is why there's also a conflict with t1lib-dev (<<
> 1.3.1-9)?  Isn't it implicitly the case that installing one version of a
> binary package of a given name excludes other versions?

No idea, that conflict makes absolutely no sense to me.  You can't have
two versions of a package installed simultaneously.

The only thing it would do would be to cause t1lib-dev to be removed
before the new version is unpacked, rather than unpacking the new
version over the top -- have no idea why you'd want to do that though.

Scott
--
Have you ever, ever felt like this?