Re: dpkg should recommend dselect

On 09 Aug 2002 15:50:05 -0400
Colin Walters <walters@verbum.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 2002-08-09 at 13:08, Glenn McGrath wrote:
>
> > I think it would be sad to see this problem go unresolved till sarge+1
>
> Sorry, that's how splitting packages works.  You have to have a Depends
> (or in the dselect case case Pre-Depends) for one Debian release.  Why
> is this a big deal, anyways?  I don't personally use it, but it's not
> like dselect takes up an enormous amount of disk space.

I think we should be reduceing the number of required packages, not
increasing them.

As required/base increases it drags in other stuff, it complicates things
and will only make things harder in the future.

What was the point in seperating dpkg and dselect, i thought it was going
to simplify things.... its not.

I dont accept Josip reasoning as being valid, it should be possible to
upgrade safely without making dselect a required package.

If the dselect upgrade process breaks because some other package breaks
something, then fix the other package. We shouldnt try to make the system
idiot proof at the expense of everyone else.

Its a big deal to me becasue it seems logical and i cant understand why
others cant see it... but so be it, this isnt helping, i surrender.

Glenn