E: sub-process, DPKG

Hi,

My name is John.
I'm totally new to Linux but understand the basics of it.

I get same error every new install of debian.

I do net install with potato, right after logging in as root i type apt-get update and apt-get dist-upgrade. and all that works fine. then i change the sources.list to

deb ftp://ftp.debian.nl/debian/ unstable main non-free contrib
deb-src ftp://ftp.debian.nl/debian/ unstable main non-free contrib
deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable/non-US main contrib non-free
deb-src http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable/non-US main contrib non-free

deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main contrib non-free

do apt-get update and apt-get dist-upgrade.

Now in the end I recive these messages:

dpkg: 'update-rc.d' not found on path.
dpkg: 1 expected program(s) not found on path.
NB: root's PATH should usually contain /usr/local/sbin, /usr/sbin and /sbin.
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned error code (2)

Ive asked many in the irc channels. they all say do export PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/sbin/:/sbin:$PATH and that doesnt seem to help either.
ive searched on google.com and cant find any solution in there.... found many ppl that gets the NB: root line... and update-rc.d not found.

The first times i never got these errors when I installed debian.... installed it over 15 time or more now.

hope that you can help me sort this out, if not just ignore this message.

John.