Re: dpkg: available file corruption problems not completely fixed (?)

On 3 Dec 2001, James Troup wrote:

> Hi,
>
> It would seem the MD5sum problems are not fully resolved... (the
> chroot in question is recently built and updated semi-regularly, it's
> certainly running 1.9.18, before anyone suggests the obvious).  I
> wasn't able to reproduce this and I haven't seen any other reports of
> it, so I haven't filed a bug.

Gah.  Stupid dpkg.

> >   /usr/bin/sudo /usr/bin/apt-get $CHROOT_OPTIONS -q -y install sp tetex-bin texinfo groff tetex-extra
> > Reading Package Lists...
> > Building Dependency Tree...
> > The following extra packages will be installed:
> >   defoma dialog ed groff-base gsfonts libkpathsea3 libpaperg libsp1 libwww0
> >   libxaw6 tetex-base
> > The following NEW packages will be installed:
> >   defoma dialog ed groff groff-base gsfonts libkpathsea3 libpaperg libsp1
> >   libwww0 libxaw6 sp tetex-base tetex-bin tetex-extra texinfo
> > 0 packages upgraded, 16 newly installed, 0 to remove and 6  not upgraded.
>
> [...]
>
> > Selecting previously deselected package tetex-extra.
> > Unpacking tetex-extra (from .../tetex-extra_1.0.2+20011128-1_all.deb) ...
> > dpkg: parse error, in file `/home/buildd/build/chroot-unstable/var/lib/dpkg/available' near line 9471 package `tetex-extra':
> >  empty file details field `MD5sum'
> > E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (2)
> > apt-get failed.
> > Package installation failed

What versions of these packages were being installed at the time?  Do you have
a copy of this broken build log?  buildd.d.o has the successful one, not the
one you have above.

It might be wise to modify the buildd software to copy /var/lib/dpkg/ to a
backup, before building a package, so when errors like these occur, we can
debug them easier.