Debian 2.1 to Debian 2.2 upgrade.

Hi, I am a systems administrator at the University of New Mexico.  I am
trying to upgrade approximately 80 Debian Linux boxxen from 2.1 to 2.2.
We are currently running slink and we want to move to potato.  Here is
basically what I am doing:

changing /etc/apt/sources.list to use potato
apt-get update
apt-get dist-upgrade

I then have two expect scripts to take care of the rest.  The problem is,
during the upgrade (all questions handled by my expect scripts) I get this
termcap or printcap error and then the cpu on the machine I am trying to
upgrade freaks out.  I do not have this problem if I do not use expect and
manually answer all questions.  The question is, should I try to "sleep"
for a minute or more before running my second expect script (it finishes
the upgrade with a dpkg --configure --pending)?  Any help would be
appreciated...thanks.