Release Notes status and (possible) deadlines

Hi list,

Some of the translators have been trying to catch up with the Release Notes
document and have seen it gone from revision 1.155 to 1.247 in the last week
and a half.

I think it's time to summarise the changes introduced since that revision
(full details available at:
http://cvs.debian.org/ddp/manuals.sgml/release-notes/en/release-notes.en.sgml?root=debian-doc&r1=1.156&r2=1.247&diff_format=h )

- New sections introduced: "Reporting bugs on this document", "Sources for this
  document", "Whats new for $arch", "System improvements", "Review actions
  pending in package manager", "Manually unmarking packages", "Getting
  package signatures", "Upgrading from a 2.4 kernel", "S/390 hardware
  configuration", "Configuration for network devices", "Preparing for the
  next release", "No support for 8-bit displays in many applications",
  "Upgrading Zope and Plone"

  These are mostly based on the recommended procedure initially described at
  http://wiki.debian.org/Sarge2EtchUpgradeBlackboard

- "New" sections which actually are mostly text that has been relocated:
  "Major kernel-related changes", "Inform users in advance", "Prepare a safe
  environment for the upgrade", "Recording the session"

- Sections which have been fully rewritten "Slower updates of APT package
  index files"

- Many typos were fixed (both in the previous text and in the text recently
  introduced)

Unfortunately, I wanted to announce a few days back that the Release Notes
were "stable" but this has been impossible. Translators have to understand
that we want the Release Notes to be as perfect as possible as many users
will use them to guide their upgrade process, a flaw in the Release Notes
upgrade procedure could render many users' systems unbootable during an
upgrade.

-- How to work --

As the release is approaching and the Release Notes are going to "freeze"
soon we think that the best approach is to follow closely the latest version.
This means getting the latest version from CVS, translating it, and try to
update it as soon as editing finishes.

Those that have not translated the sections "Upgrading packages" (specially
subsection "Minimal system upgrade" and "Upgrading your kernel and related
packages") should best wait a one or two days before translating them since
they will be heavily modified (not in content, but in structure).
Translations already done for those can be easily carried over, but it's best
if you wait and translate other sections first.

These forthcoming days there will be some changes in the Release Notes but,
save for the changes of those the sections described above, we expect the
changes to be only of "new" information being added to the Release Notes (new
sections describing known issues) as well as typo fixes to existing text. It
is highly unlikely that there will be any major changes to the existing
information (i.e. sections).

-- *Expected* timeline/deadlines --

These are the expected deadlines. "Expected" in the sense that we are not
sure (right now) if they will vary, and they are currently the best timeline
we can provide:

 - We *expect* the Release Notes to be frozen by next thursday. No new
   changes would be introduced at this point.

 - We *expect* translators will have until (at least) saturday morning (12am
   UTC), to update their translations to be included in the official ISOs.

Translations not up to date will not be included in the first release of the
official ISOs (their publishing will be disabled). As soon as they are up to
date they will be re-enabled so that they are published at the website.  When
re-enabled, they will also be included in the next update to the ISOs (i.e.
4.0r1)

I'm aware we are not providing too much time for translations, but
translations that are up to date now (or mostly up to date) should not have
any problem updating the changes introduced in these two days (as there will
be no major changes)

Notice, however, that after the release we might introduce some more
information in etch's Release Notes to document some new issues. This
information might be  based on user's upgrade reports as well as some (minor)
information we have not had the time to include as of this moment.

-- Current status --

The current status of translations for the Release Notes is as follows:

- Translations mostly up-to-date:  fr, zh_CN, zh_TW

- Translations slightly out of date: ja, ro, ru, pt, sv, vi
[ these last translations should be able to catch up with the latest changes
  easily ]

- Translation out of date (1.120<x<1.155): ca, cs, de, es, fi, pl
[ these last translations will have a difficult time catching up ]

- Translation very out of date (x<1.120): da, it, ko, nl, pt_BR
[ these teams did not update the translation as requested in my first email
  [2] ]

- Unknown state: sk

Unfortunately, there are many languages that did not upgrade to the latest
revision when I asked for translation updates [1]. This means that they will
probably be dropped from the ISOs unless they make a major effort now to
update the translation.

For the record, the following translations have provided new updates since
the last check: es, fi, fr, ja, ro, pl, pt, sv, vi, zh_CN, zh_TW
(not all of them managed to update to 1.155 though)

Sorry again for all the inconveniences, and thanks for all the hard work

Javier

[1] Message-ID: <20070313090532.GA17330@javifsp.no-ip.org>
http://lists.debian.org/debian-i18n/2007/03/msg00086.html

[2] Message-ID: <20070321004103.GA4112@javifsp.no-ip.org>
http://lists.debian.org/debian-i18n/2007/03/msg00135.html

Here's the detailed status:

DEBUG: Release is 1.247
ca OUT OF DATE (1.121)
cs OUT OF DATE (1.121)
da OUT OF DATE (1.65)
de OUT OF DATE (1.121)
es OUT OF DATE (1.100)
fi PO stats: 195 translated messages, 76 fuzzy translations, 312 untranslated messages.
	fi PO translation OUT OF DATE
fr OUT OF DATE (1.231)
it OUT OF DATE (1.115)
ja PO stats: 212 translated messages, 105 fuzzy translations, 266 untranslated messages.
	ja PO translation OUT OF DATE
ko OUT OF DATE (1.53)
nl OUT OF DATE (1.75)
pt PO stats: 300 translated messages, 96 fuzzy translations, 187 untranslated messages.
	pt PO translation OUT OF DATE
pt_BR OUT OF DATE (1.67)
ro OUT OF DATE (1.155)
ru PO stats: 258 translated messages, 90 fuzzy translations, 235 untranslated messages.
	ru PO translation OUT OF DATE
ERROR: [ sk ] could not find document version information in headers
sv PO stats: 265 translated messages, 91 fuzzy translations, 227 untranslated messages.
	sv PO translation OUT OF DATE
vi PO stats: 251 translated messages, 97 fuzzy translations, 235 untranslated messages.
	vi PO translation OUT OF DATE
zh_CN PO stats: 290 translated messages, 106 fuzzy translations, 187 untranslated messages.
	zh_CN PO translation OUT OF DATE
zh_TW PO stats: 329 translated messages, 71 fuzzy translations, 98 untranslated messages.
	zh_TW PO translation OUT OF DATE