Re: Number of languages available in d-i? (for the release notes)

(Please keep me CC'ed to answers)

Quoting Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña (jfs@computer.org):

> Hi Christian,
>
> Quick question: What is the official count of languages available for installation in d-i
> with and without the graphical installer?
>
> I count 56 in http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/l10n-stats/ but I don't know which
> ones only work with the graphical installer.

OK, here are all facts:

http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/i18n-doc/languages.html should be the reference

58 languages, including English, are supported in D-I

New languages (compared to Sarge) are:
Belarusian
Bengali (g)
Dzongkha (g)
Esperanto
Estonian
Gujarati (g)
Hindi (g)
Georgian (g)
Khmer (g)
Kurdish
Macedonian
Malayalam (g)
Nepali (g)
Punjabi (g)
Tamil (g)
Thai (g)
Tagalog
Vietnamese
Wolof

11 of these languages are supported only in the graphical installer (g)

No longer supported languages (were supported in Sarge, not in Etch):
Persian
Welsh

One should note that Esperanto was not supported in Sarge but was
supported in Woody

The language choosing menu offers 60 entries. There are indeed two
additionnal entries:

- C as a "no locale" choice (this is new in Etch)
- Northern Sami even though the translations are not in D-I. This is
  a request from Debian-Edu developers which we accepted as a reward
  to Skolelinux developers who initiated the development of D-I
  several years ago.