Re: DDP CVS commit by jseidel: ddp/manuals.sgml/release-notes/de release-note ...

On Sun, Jan 09, 2005 at 05:57:22PM +0100, Geert Stappers wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 09, 2005 at 09:30:55AM -0700, DDP CVS wrote:
> > CVSROOT:	/cvs/debian-doc
> > Module name:	ddp
> > Changes by:	jseidel	05/01/09 09:30:55
> >
> > Modified files:
> > 	manuals.sgml/release-notes/de: release-notes.de.sgml
> >
> > Log message:
> > 	use latin1 encoding instead of HTML entities to simplify proofreading
> >       and to increase compatibility with various tools
>
> And which tools are that?
> I think you broke compatibility with XML & SGML tools. [1]
> [1] both are ASCII only.

OK, your're partially right.

The old code using ü and ß in each third word makes the SGML
source code nearly unreadable. Please note that the previous version
already contained a mixture of latin1 and ASCII.

I apply very often a grep -ri "errror" on German texts I maintain and
proofread to find and fix errors. I also wrote a few minor scripts which
check for permutation of characters, ... which is much faster than spell
checkers.

IIRC aspell or ispell has trouble with HTML entities (I'm not sure about
this). I know both support a HTML option but ...

I also found a missing umlaut in the output (last PDF page) because
<url id="&url-debian-i18n;" name="&Uuml;bersetzungen">
was used but which works great using name="Übersetzungen".

PS: Please note that the website uses latin1 encoding as well. Nobody
complained ...

Jens