Re: debiandoc vs. docbook

At (time_t)1032561584 Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> The only bit that I am missing is how to generate PDF from DocBook/XML.
> I can make FO, but I can't seem to find a tool in Debian to convert that
> to PDF.

Fortunately, there are at least two decent solutions, and one
poor one.

* Jade/jadetex work as well with DocBook/XML as they do with
  SGML, if dvi is an acceptable intermediate form to generate
  PDF.

* PassiveTeX was recently packaged, and within certain
  constraints[1], works pretty well.  Today is the first time
  I've had success; the author, Sebastian Rahtz, helped me
  overcome my problems.

* FOP is also packaged, but I wouldn't advocate using its output.

-John

1. Things which may cause PassiveTeX to fail entirely:

* DocBook tables.
* Nested tags in titles.