Re: Programming Tutorial

I'll write a section on kernel compilation. I believe it should either
be a chapter by itself or an appendix.

I have tried to hint at an outline of the chapter on programming:

Overview of Programming
 * Machine code and assembly
 * Object files
 * Higher level languages (C, C++, ...)

Using Compilers and Interpreters
 * What's compilation and interpretation
 * Specific tools (gcc, g++, ...)

Libraries
 * What are libraries
 * Shared vs Static
 * Ld & Ldd
 * Making libraries

Automating Compilation and Configuration
 * Make
 * Autoconf & Automake
 * Libtool
 * Cursory mention of imake, cons and metaconfig (is imake more important?)

Squishing bugs
 * Compilation options
 * Error messages
 * Debuggers (gdb, ...)

In the section on higher level languages there will be a subsection
for many common and uncommon languages with a somewhat objective
evaluation and pointers for learning this language.

Feedback on this is very much appreciated. I specifically wonder whether
this scheme is too much of a reference. This could be rectified by
intertwining the section more, but even a tutorial needs some structure.

Thanks to all who have shared their thoughts with me,
--
Ole