Re: RFC: Changing of /doc/manuals/ implementation (summary)

On Sun, Sep 15, 2002 at 11:05:45AM -0400, Susan Kleinmann wrote:
> Hello Osamu,
>
> On Sun, 15 Sep 2002 02:03:47 PDT, Osamu Aoki <debian@aokiconsulting.com> said:
> > Two questions remains.
> >
> > 1. How "language" specifying extention should be?
> >      a Use gcc locale:         en, fr, pt_BR
> >      b Usa apache extention:   en, fr, pt-br
> > 2. Issues of having multiple extention.  How to handle?
> >    Answer:  Tell people to use decent OS like Debian. :)
> >

> Sorry to bother you with this question:  could you remind the list
> what are the downsides to using the gcc locale (and the same for the
> apache locale)?
>
> (I keep thinking as I read this thread that some of the thinking that went
> into using pools might be applied to accessing manuals, but I don't have a
> specific suggestion (yet).)

apache has auto language selection option which debian web server uses
(I understant it is a compile time option.)

Typically, a directory is set up to contain:

index.en.html
index.fr.html
index.pt-br.html

If all these to exist in a directory, apache will serve page depanding
on your web browser preference settings.

See http://www.debian.org/intro/cn as user's manual.
See http://httpd.apache.org/docs/content-negotiation.html for real
story.

(Extention can be even index.html.fr if you set it so)

(I have no idea why people use pt-br here instead of pt_BR.  But that is
the convention used on Debian machine.  If only it is changed, it solves
problem. debiandoc-sgml actually convert locale to this style of
language coding.)

        Osamu Aoki @ Cupertino CA USA, GPG-key: A8061F32
 .''`.  Debian Reference: post-installation user's guide for non-developers
 : :' : http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/ also http://qref.sf.net
 `. `'  "Our Priorities are Our Users and Free Software" --- Social Contract