Re: finally end single-person maintainership

Hi Julien,

Am Mon, Apr 08, 2024 at 03:45:48PM +0200 schrieb Julien Puydt:

> I only use salsa's git. That begs two questions:
> - What do I miss by not using the web interface?

If you are owner of a team repository you need to manage members.  As
far as I know this is only possible via web interface (I did not checked
glab since I just learned in this thread about is existence.)  This is
sometimes a bit slow but acceptable for me since I need to deal with it
once or twice a month.

When intending to package something new I do not only fire up wnpp-check
to look for some ITP bug but also seek on Salsa for some preliminary work
done on this project without filing some ITP.  I like this web search
and in case you do some duplicated work you might miss it (see above
for possible replacement by glab).

For me Salsa CI is one of the greatest things we have.  Its not "pure"
Salsa but I'd say you are missing something if you are not using it.
(Thanks a lot to those who are running Salsa CI!)

> - What does that web interface have that people don't like?

I confirm that logs from Salsa CI are sometimes a bit slow but I'm not
sure whom to blame about this.  For me it does not cross the borderline
to "not like it" - but in Johannes Schauer wrote in this thread that
slow clients might fail to show log files at all.

For me the two biggest argument for using Salsa consequently are:
  - It enables more than one person to work on one package effectively
  - I've met lots of potential young contributors who expect somehow a
    modern collaboration tool and we are risking that young blood
    moves to other distros if we do not use it consequently

Kind regards
   Andreas.

--
https://fam-tille.de