Re: About Package Maintenance (was: Question to all candidates: What are your technical goals)

[I'm skipping most of this email because I haven't generally been
keeping up with the thread, but thought it might be worth pointing out
one thing.]

On Mon, Apr 08, 2024 at 06:48:13PM +0200, Marc Haber wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 04, 2024 at 12:38:34PM +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:
> > Before uploading I usually
> > run `routine-update -f` which is just upgrading to latest standards by
> > calling Janitor tools and does some other changes to keep up with latest
> > packaging standards semi-automatically.
>
> I wasn't aware of that tool. We need to publish more about such things.
>
> I am not particularly fond of Janitor's suggestions though. For my
> taste, it removes support for older versions of Debian too quickly, and
> I have frequently chosen to not accept janitor MRs because this would
> affect ability and ease to backport to oldstable or even to
> oldoldstable. But that also is a matter of style.

I'm not sure how widely known it is, but the Janitor does have a
mechanism for overriding the versions of Debian it retains compatibility
with based on various considerations, and I've found it useful to land
changes there in the past so that its other facilities can still be
useful without getting in my way.  Search for "compat_release" in
https://salsa.debian.org/janitor-team/janitor.debian.net/-/blob/master/k8s/policy.conf.

--
Colin Watson (he/him)                              [cjwatson@debian.org]