Re: ITP: gtk-gnutella -- The Most Efficient Gnutella Client

On Fri, Mar 29, 2024 at 09:28:44AM +0800, Sean Whitton wrote:
> On Thu 14 Mar 2024 at 01:29pm GMT, Jonathan Dowland wrote:
> > I took a peek, out of curiosity. I was surprised not to find a
> > orig.tar.gz /  debian.tar.gz split; the package version scheme
> > properly reflects a normal (non-native) package (1.2.3-1), but
> > the source tarball has "./debian" in it;  and indeed, it looks
> > like you're managing the debian packaging in the upstream repo.
> > It's advisable to keep the two separate.
>
> Not everyone agrees with this.  I think that same repo, non-native
> versioning is often what's best for a package.

While it's true that some people do hold that position, the problem with
it has always been that it gets extremely cumbersome the moment that
maintenance of the Debian packaging passes to somebody who doesn't have
upstream commit access.  This event is traditionally followed by
cursing.

--
Colin Watson (he/him)                              [cjwatson@debian.org]