Re: Rebuilding old packages to get rid of overalignment on amd64 which reduces ASLR

On 11.03.24 00:41, Bernd Zeimetz wrote:
> On Thu, 2024-03-07 at 11:48 +0100, Mathias Krause wrote:
>> To get rid of the over-alignment, a rebuild with a linker that
>> doesn't enforce the overly huge alignment any more is sufficient.
>> In Debian terms that would be anything starting with buster.
>>
>> I, thereby, request to rebuild affected packages.
>
> So as I understand it: this will be fixed by itself as soon as somebody
> uploads or binNMUs the package?

Correct -- as long as the release used to build the package isn't an
ancient one, it will resolve the issue.

> Then I would wait for some point near the release. And packages that
> haven't been touched since buster might need some qa love anyway!?

That works for me. The 32-bit time_t transition Jeremy mentioned seems
like a good candidate to force a rebuild of a lot of packages. Is there
an ETA for it? I found [1] which mentions to do the transition in
January but we've March already.

Thanks,
Mathias

[1] https://wiki.debian.org/ReleaseGoals/64bit-time