Re: New requirements for APT repository signing

On Thu, Feb 29, 2024 at 12:29:40AM +0000, Phil Wyett wrote:
> On Wed, 2024-02-28 at 20:20 +0100, Julian Andres Klode wrote:
> > APT 2.7.13 just landed in unstable and with GnuPG 2.4.5 installed,
> > or 2.4.4 with a backport from the 2.4 branch, requires repositories
> > to be signed using one of
> >
> > - RSA keys of at least 2048 bit
> > - Ed25519
> > - Ed448
> >
> > Any other keys will cause warnings. These warnings will become
> > errors in March as we harden it up for the Ubuntu 24.04 release,
> > which was the main driver to do the change *now*.
> >
> > If you operate third-party repositories using different key
> > algorithms, now is your time to migrate before you get hit
> > with an error.
> >
> > For the Ubuntu perspective, feel free to check out the discourse
> > post:
> >
> > https://discourse.ubuntu.com/t/new-requirements-for-apt-repository-signing-in-24-04/42854
>
> Hi,
>
> Could I be pointed to the public conversation, any plans or bug reports related to this
> update and transition etc. for affected users?

Some more information are in the GnuPG feature request:

https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=1042391 (July 2023)
https://dev.gnupg.org/T6946 (Jan 2024)

Original announcement at

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel/2024-January/042883.html

Since then revised after rounds of feedback on internal specifications
and meetings.

Not sure what transition you are looking for, that's up for you
repository owners to figure out.
ubuntu core developer                              i speak de, en