Re: Another take on package relationship substvars

Hi!

On Thu, 2024-02-22 at 23:14:13 +0100, gregor herrmann wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Feb 2024 19:32:21 +0100, Niels Thykier wrote:
> > If you forget to add a susbtvars that you should added, it is a latent RC
> > bug with only a warning from dpkg-gencontrol that you might miss if you grab
> > a coffee while waiting for the build to complete.  If you add one that is
> > not provided, you get a warning from dpkg-gencontrol that will nag you when
> > you *don't* go for coffee while waiting for the build.
>
> I can relate a lot to this paragraph and would append: With or
> without the coffee, each time I see a warning from dpkg-gencontrol I
> have to think for some time about which of the two possible problems
> is meant (substvar defined in d/control but not generated, or
> substvar generated but missing in d/control), and that is really
> annoying.

If the warnings are not clear, I'm happy to further reword them to
try to make them so. I think they were previously even more confusing!
If you or anyone else has wording suggestions (which are ideally still
succinct) that would be great.

Thanks,
Guillem