Re: Policy: versioning between releases

On 21.01.24 15:34, Andreas Metzler wrote:
However according to our release notes we only support upgrading from
release x to x+1, skipping releases is not allowed.

I'm not talking about skipping releases but about partial upgrades.

Thus …

> foo/testing requires bar >=1.1 to work but just states "Depends: bar >=1", and bar/stable is 1.0.42

assume that Stable has bar/stable==1.0.42 and foo/stable==2.1, while Testing has foo/stable==2.2. $USER adds Testing (or possibly stable/backports) to their apt.sources, updates foo, observes breakage, and now needs to dig through dependencies to figure out what went wrong.

Yes I know that this cannot happen when people simply dist-upgrade, but IMHO the world isn't always that simple.

So when I, as a maintainer, notice a problem along these lines, do I file a bug? Conversely, when I get this sort of bug report for one of my packages, is it OK to reply "that's not supported, go away"?

--
-- mit freundlichen Grüßen