Re: Deprecation of /etc/alternatives? (Re: Reaction to potential PGP schism)

Metapackage approach is not the same for many reasons.

First, I have seen Debian installations which doesn’t have internet access, but setup with many alternatives of the same application (e.g.: Java).

Moreover, apt automatically purges its cache after a successful transaction.

As I said in my previous message, many things from browsers to pagers are configured over alternatives subsystem, and this will create tons of headache over many edge cases.

Lastly, a user may have sudo privileges for update-alternatives, to switch stuff around if things prove to be problematic (e.g.: again Java, compilers, etc.) without having package management privileges (e.g.: remotely managed developer workstation).

Alternatives work fine as-is. Fiddling with it only open more can of worms down the line. It’s there for a reason to begin with.

Cheers,

H.
Sent from my iPhone