Re: groff warning: TE macro called with TW register undefined

On Thu, 17 Aug 2023 at 03:39, Colin Watson wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 16, 2023 at 09:29:45PM +1000, Hugh McMaster wrote:
> > This all seems promising. Unfortunately, the man page is hand-crafted,
> > not generated from another source, so groff is never invoked, and no
> > other documents are referenced in the file.
>
> groff must be run somewhere, because you're seeing a warning from groff.

I meant that groff is never called by FreeType's build system, as the
man page is hand-crafted.

> What exact check is failing here (is it lintian, or something else)?
> Could you please give us a pointer to the man page in question?

Lintian issues the warning when checking for man-page issues using
groff (via man). This particular warning has only appeared since the
recent groff 1.23.0 upload.

The Lintian tag is 'groff-message'. The tag description helpfully
provides the exact command used during the check:

    LC_ALL=C.UTF-8 MANROFFSEQ='' MANWIDTH=80 \
        man --warnings -E UTF-8 -l -Tutf8 -Z <file> >/dev/null

The man page in question -- ftlint.1 -- is in the freetype2-demos
package [1], or you can get an online copy from [2].

[1] /usr/share/man/man1/ftlint.1.gz
[2] https://sources.debian.org/src/freetype/2.13.0%2Bdfsg-1/ft2demos/man/ftlint.1/