Re: Potential MBF: packages failing to build twice in a row

On Mon, Aug 14, 2023 at 09:40:52PM +0100, Wookey wrote:
On 2023-08-14 10:19 -0400, Michael Stone wrote:
On Thu, Aug 10, 2023 at 02:38:17PM +0200, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> On 08/08/23 at 10:26 +0200, Helmut Grohne wrote:
> > Are we ready to call for consensus on dropping the requirement that
> > `debian/rules clean; dpkg-source -b` shall work or is anyone interested
> > in sending lots of patches for this?
>
> My reading of the discussion is that there's sufficient interest for
> ensuring that building-source-after-successful-binary-build works.

my reading said that there was interest in making sure that binary builds
work repeatedly, and almost no interest in making sure that building source
from a rules/clean works. certainly not thousands of packages worth of busy
work level of interest.

Yes. You are right. I (and most of the others who expressed an
interest in having this working) mostly care about doing a binary
build repeatedly. But doesn't this amount to much the same thing?

no, not really. a lot of benign changes (like copying in new autoconf stuff) can happily be made multiple times, which doesn't affect building at all but causes busy work to undo.

dpkg-source will moan if the source has changed and tell you about the
nice patch it has made. OK, it will let some things slide as just
warnings, so 'builds binary twice' is a somewhat less stringent target
than 'leaves exactly the original pristine source'. I would have to check
the details, but I'm not sure how much difference this makes in
practice?

we don't know, since the test was "regenerate source"--a thing very few people care about--rather than "build twice" which is the thing people do seem to care about. It seems likely that the difference is thousands of packages.

I'm somewhat concerned we magically went from "should we do an MBF" to "I just did an MBF" without any real consensus in the middle. This being so painfully obvious that the MBF itself basically says there's no consensus.