Re: Compiler runs out of memory when building a package

On Sun, Aug 13, 2023 at 01:54:48PM -0700, Dima Kogan wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I'm looking for a suggestion to fix a problem.
>
> I uploaded a package, and it cleared NEW a few days ago. I now see that
> it fails to build on most 32-bit arches becaues the compiler runs out of
> memory. Logs:
>
>   https://buildd.debian.org/status/package.php?p=gtsam
>
> Arbitrary 32-bit log (armhf):
>
>   https://buildd.debian.org/status/fetch.php?pkg=gtsam&arch=armhf&ver=4.2%7E9%2Bdfsg-2&stamp=1691926953&raw=0

Hi,

We had a similar build failure in slic3r-prusa, and the way we fixed it
was to reduce debug symbols on 32-bit architectures, and disable it on
mips + mipsel.

See [1], [2] and [3] for what was done. Maybe you can try adding those
build flags to gtsam.

[1] https://salsa.debian.org/3dprinting-team/slic3r-prusa/-/blob/51a729e5a8bf45285d6e0dab93617c544eec885f/debian/rules#L5-10
[2] https://bugs.debian.org/961107
[3] https://bugs.debian.org/1041870