Re: Potential MBF: packages failing to build twice in a row

On Sat, 2023-08-05 at 17:06 +0200, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:

> I wonder what we should do, because 5000+ failing packages is a lot...

Add a message about this on tracker.debian.org for affected packages?

> Should we give up on requiring a 'clean' target that works? After all,
> when 17% of packages are failing, it means that many maintainers don't
> depend on it in their workflow.

We should keep requiring this, having the clean process work properly
it is very useful for when you are doing repeat builds inside a chroot
or VM while debugging a problem, since not having to repeat the build
dependency install step is a useful time-saver.

This also surfaces bugs in upstream clean rules and where upstreams
have accidentally or deliberately shipped prebuilt files in tarballs.
It is important that Debian give back fixes for these to upstreams.

We should also never drop the requirement to run the clean process
before the build, because that would lead to some files not being
built from source in Debian where upstreams ship prebuilt files in
git/tarballs but the clean rules still also remove those files.

--
bye,
pabs

https://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise