Re: virtual packages for Ada libraries

Quoting Jonas Smedegaard (2023-07-15 10:05:24)
> Quoting Nicolas Boulenguez (2023-07-12 15:55:09)
> > The Ada maintainers are considering a new naming scheme for -dev packages,
> > where
> >   libada-foo-dev Provides: libada-foo-dev-HASH.
> >   source packages Build-Depend: libada-foo-dev
> >   binary -dev packages Depend: libada-foo-dev-HASH
> > The intent is similar to the one of shared object versions, but the
> > name changes often (for example, with the architecture) and is
> > computed, so virtual packages seem more appropriate.
> >
> > Policy 3.6 does not disapprove:
> >     ... should not use virtual package names (except privately,
> >     amongst a cooperating group of packages) unless they have been
> >     agreed upon and appear in the list of virtual package names.
> > However politeness recommends to ask for objections before polluting
> > the package namespace.
> >
> > Haskell and Ocaml apparently use a similar scheme.
>
> I have no objections to this - it sounds like a good approach.
>
> Just want to point out that experience from Rust packaging indicates
> that general Debian tooling does a weaker job at dependency resolving
> for vritual packages, which (for Rust libraries) causes breakages of
> reverse dependencies, and may even (not quite sure) lead to breakage of
> testing due to libraries with unsatisfied (dependencies) migrating.

I now recall: The Rust library packages wreaking havoc by prematurely
entering testing is (at least partly) due to the Rust team choosing to
flag all(!) autopkgtests as flaky, so not really a concern for other
teams (read: just don't take inspiration from that particular pattern).

 - Jonas

 * Sponsorship: https://ko-fi.com/drjones