Re: Go (golang) packaging, using external libs

On Thu, Jul 06, 2023 at 06:46:46PM +0000, Valera Rozuvan wrote:
> Is it at all possible to create a proper DEB package:
>
> - using golang
> - to be published in the official Debian package repository
> - using a golang library which is not in Debian

It is, golang has a provision for vendoring libs in vendor/ directory
and go compiler will pick these up while building. However, this is
usually (very much) discouraged, unless there are genuine reasons to do
so, and it is always a better route to package dependencies.

> (such as https://pkg.go.dev/github.com/lib/pq - A pure Go postgres driver)

This library is packaged in the archive and is present as
golang-github-lib-pq-dev package. See

	https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/golang-github-lib-pq

> I would greatly appreciate, if someone can point me at an example package which is in Debian, and is using an external golang lib.

You can have a look at cadvisor, libpod, singularity-container and gitaly
packages as examples.

Best,
Nilesh