Need Help to build debian package from source code

Hi Team,

I am IIT Kanpur student. I am trying to build debian package from source code after making some changes to it.
Though I am able to make changes and build debian package successfully, some of the changes are not reflected.

I made changes to corefile.c which are correctly reflected
But changes made to histfile.c are not reflected after installation.

I have followed this tutorial to create debian package.
https://www.linuxfordevices.com/tutorials/debian/build-packages-from-source

Could you help me with it ? Any help is appreciated.

PS: I have tried with configure & make commands. installation works fine but I need debian package only.

Manikant Singh
CSE M.Tech IITK