Re: Making Debian available

On 2021-01-16 at 05:58, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 15, 2021 at 03:15:14PM -0500, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Jan 15, 2021 at 09:35:01AM -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:
>>
>>> The point is to make things easier for our users.  Right now,
>>> we're doing that for you but not for the users who don't care
>>> whether firmware is non-free.  I think the idea is that we should
>>> consider making things easier for both groups of users.  There's
>>> no reason to make things worse for you and others who want the
>>> fully free installer in the process.
>>
>> I wonder if a compromise would be to make an install CD/DVD which
>> contains the non-free packages, but which gives the user the option
>> to abstain from using said non-free packages --- it can explain
>> that the non-free packages may be needed for some hardware, but why
>> people who are committed to Free Software might prefer loss of
>> functionality to using non-free software.
>
> It already does: the second or third question gives you the option to
> install non-free firmware, if needed, from a USB stick. That method
> does work but very few people use it.

That's not what Ted seems to be suggesting, though. It still requires
you to obtain the firmware separately and provide them separately - and,
per comment seen elsewhere just this morning (#980205), apparently
doesn't make clear *where* and *how* to provide that firmware.

What I read Ted as suggesting is that there be available an installer
image which *has those files / packages already present*, but prompts
the user to decide whether or not the installer should make use of them.

--
   The Wanderer