Re: Architecture: all binNMUs (was: deduplicating jquery/)

On 12/1/20 11:56 AM, Simon McVittie wrote:
> On Tue, 01 Dec 2020 at 11:05:54 +0100, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
>> Can someone remind me: Why is it that we cannot do arch-independent
>> auto-building?
>
> We can and do autobuild arch-independent packages (since 2015: on the
> timescale of multi-release transitions, this is relatively recent).

before we add another kind of binNMUs, please can we consider not doing binNMUs
at all?  I see that it's convenient for transitions, however

- it creates problems with mismatched versions for foreign
  architectures.  Yes, binNMUs are currently done for M-A: same
  packages for all the release architectures, but usually it's
  a pain to construct a cross-build environment for a port out
  of packages in the archive.

- No QA done for binNMUs. Not a single autopkg test is run for
  a binNMU, and it's known that these introduce regressions in
  testing.

- lintian is not run for binNMUs.

- tracker.debian.org doesn't track binNMUs

- maintainers are not notified of binNMU uploads and migrations.

Maybe there is more. But there's no progress, or intent to fix every tool to be
aware of binNMUs.  Maybe it's better to rethink how sourceful no-change
no-maintainer uploads could be done without introducing the above issues?

Matthias