Re: [qubes-devel] Re: DNF for Debian

On 2020-05-29 12:43, Holger Levsen wrote:
> hi Mihai,
>
> On Fri, May 29, 2020 at 12:17:13PM +0200, Mihai Moldovan wrote:
>> Sorry for the late response. I've been busy, and, honestly, also always forgot
>> to actually answer.
>
> thanks for your reply & don't worry, this happens often & to many people, me
> included.
>
>> unman seems to be interested, if that's good enough, so there's that.
>
> that is good enough if not much better than that.
>
>>> all very very nice! It would be a pity to have this rot, but then, without
>>> maintenance it will anyway eventually...
>>
>> Personally, I will have to "maintain" the package sets anyway, because I'm
>> building a lot of Fedora/CentOS packages in an automatic fashion on Debian.
>>
>> This "maintenance" just means that I'll probably update stuff every half a year
>> or year, though, essentially "whenever it breaks" (which does tend to happen).
> [...]
>> As given in the initial description, I've published source and binary packages
>> for Debian Unstable/Sid at https://packages.x2go.org/debian-test/pool/main/
>>
>> Note that the binaries are a bit old by now and would probably like a rebuild,
>> but the source is still the one I'm also using on my package builder.
>>
>> Also, the packages became a bit stale version wise (after all, they are 9 month
>> old by now) and some included patches have already been applied upstream. I
>> haven't tried updating (and testing any updates) yet, though, and probably won't
>> come to that shortly either.
>
> the important part is whether we'll get these packages ready and up to date
> until end of 2020 *and* whether we can commit to maintain important fixes after that.
>
> end of 2020 because of "key release dates" on https://release.debian.org/
>
> it's ok(ish) if the stuff is outdated today, but in 6 month it really should be current.
> (and then after the release we can slack a bit again, though usually it's
> less effort to always package and upload the latest version.)

Hi everyone,
I've packaged for Qubes all the work (not the dnf plugins as we don't need it currently) of Mihai with little few adjustments:

https://github.com/fepitre/qubes-libcomps
https://github.com/fepitre/qubes-librepo
https://github.com/fepitre/qubes-libsolv
https://github.com/fepitre/qubes-libmodulemd1
https://github.com/fepitre/qubes-libdnf
https://github.com/fepitre/qubes-dnf

I've built and tested all of them into Bullseye. With this freshly created bullseye template as UpdateVM, it makes dom0 update working like a charm!

I can help into testing/maintaining/any other thing needed to make things moving forward for Bullseye and especially having DNF in Debian.

Best regards,
Frédéric