Re: Packaging text licenses

Quoting Francesco Poli (2019-12-15 13:01:16)
> On Sat, 14 Dec 2019 17:41:14 +0100 Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
>
> > Quoting Francesco Poli (2019-12-14 17:22:09)
> [...]
> > > I don't think the exception may also apply when the license text
> > > is the *actual payload* of the package (for instance, a package
> > > shipping the text for CC-by-nc-nd-v1.0, when nothing in the
> > > package itself is released under that license).
> [...]
> >
> > That's an interesting view.
> >
> > Several packages now in Debian main contain license fulltexts
> > without those licensing terms being applied at all to the project
> > covered by that package.
> >
> > Examples:
> >
> >   * licensecheck - includes license fulltexts in its testsuite
>
> I am perplexed: I fully understand the usefulness of packages such as
> licensecheck, decopy, and so forth, and I acknowledge the need for
> actual data in their test suites...
>
> But on the other hand, can non-free data be shipped in the test suite
> of a source package in Debian main?

Evidently it can - question is if we are breaking a rule by doing so.

As others in this thread have pointed out, Debian explicitly omits
classifying license fulltexts as "free software" or "non-free software".

As I understand it, you personally classify license fulltexts as
"non-free software" and then add a rule that they are exceptionally
accepted in main under specific narrow circumstances.

If you agree with above, Francesco, then I suggest going forward that we
talk about the "license fulltexts are non-free software but accepted
narrowly in main" as being a _proposal_ rather than current rules in
Debian.

Perhaps that shift might also help you being less perplexed? :-)

[ dropping remaining questions until surreounding logic is clarified ]

 - Jonas