Re: Git Packaging: Native source formats

Hi,

On Wed, 28 Aug 2019, Sam Hartman wrote:
> Internet is faster and disks are cheaper.

I'm not sure that DSA (which is maintaining snapshot.debian.org) will
be happy with this assertion.

> Using native source formats (1.0 and 3.0 (native)) is attractive for
> some git workflows.  It means you can just export the git repository and
> don't need to make sure that you use the same upstream tarball when
> upstream  versions  are the same.
> You don't need to synthesize a separate upstream tarball.

Do we really care about this if we assume that this work can be
transparent to the maintainer and entirely handled by tag2upload
(or some other equivalent service)?

It has all the information required to be able to build something
reusing an upstream tarball. It can:
- pick a pre-existing tarball if already in the archive
- pick the upstream tarball via the watch file
- pick the output of "git archive"

If there are still differences due to the use of an external tarball, it
can generate a supplementary patch to bring the content in line with the
content in the git repository.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer