Re: Consensus Call: Git Packaging Round 1

On Tue, Aug 27, 2019 at 02:52:01PM -0400, Sam Hartman wrote:

>     Alf> There are things i really like about PRs or MRs - they can be
>     Alf> reviewed, commented, changed without problems and fast.
>
> And as Sean pointed out, it's hard to understand the history of the
> changes and comments after they hppened.  What happens when I'm trying
> to review a MR three years later and the MR was rebased 4 times during
> the lifetime of the MR prior to merge.

FWIW, nowadays gitlab keeps track of every push, including rebases, to a
single merge request. It even adds a "compare to previous version",
where you can see the diff between the latest, maybe rebased, version of
the branch, and the previous one.

It _used_ to be the case that rebasing and force-pushing to the branch
referenced by a merge request would make you lose the history, but that
hasn't been true for a while.