Re: Please stop hating on sysvinit (was Re: do packages depend on lexical order or {daily,weekly,monthly} cron jobs?)

On 8/20/2019 8:02 AM, Bjørn Mork wrote:
> Bernd Zeimetz <bernd@bzed.de> writes:
>> On 8/11/19 12:01 PM, Adam Borowski wrote:
>>>   restart|force-reload)
>>>         log_daemon_msg "Restarting $DESC"
>>>         do_stop
>>>         sleep 1
>>>         do_start
>>>         log_end_msg $?
>>>         ;;
>>>
>>> Yes, this particular case might fail on a pathologically loaded box or with a
>>> very slow chip, but I don't know of a way to ask firmware if something is
>>> still winding down, thus what we ship is probably still sanest.
>>
>> yes, for firmware this makes sense, but I've also seen various sysv
>> scripts where people tried to guess the time a service needs to
>> shutdown, so some random sleep was added instead of handling it in a
>> sane way. This issues are luckily fixed forever with systemd - it just
>> knows, whats going on.
>
> LOL! Please try to be serious.
>
> https://www.google.com/search?q=%22stop+job+is+running%22

I'd wager that most of this is due to unit files autogenerated by the
sysv generator as well as daemon options not being sufficiently tightly
speced out in native unit files. After all, you do want to give daemons
some time to stop. But at least with systemd you know when the process
has exited.

Also I mostly saw this taking a long time around deactivation of devices
(swap, crypto). (Although I question why you'd disable swap given the
consequence of getting everything back in, but alas.)

Kind regards
Philipp Kern