Re: Why keep upstream sources in Git at salsa.d.o? (was: how to handle upstream orig tarball with git-lfs reference files?)

On Sun, 11 Aug 2019 15:03:51 +0200, Daniel Leidert
<dleidert@debian.org> wrote:
>Am Sonntag, den 11.08.2019, 01:55 +0800 schrieb Drew Parsons:
>> Upstreams are starting to use git lfs in their git repos.  In some cases
>> the git-lfs references files are retained in the source tarball, not
>> replacing the reference with the actual files.  This happens for
>> instance with github repos (I gather it happens because the tarball is
>> generated with 'git archive' [1]).  An example is the mesh files [2] in
>> pygalmesh 0.4.0 [3].
>
>What I really don't understand is, why we duplicate upstream files (now even
>really large files) on salsa.d.o. The debian/-only approach (or "overlay"
>layout in git-buildpackage) works fine. Salsa CI also works just fine.

When I started with mantaining my packages in git, that layout way not
yet available. Actually, this was my major beef against git since I
had been using this approach happily with svn und svn-buildpackage for
years.

I haven't heard that a debian/ only repository layout is possible with
git-buildpackage before today.

Greetings
Marc
Mannheim, Germany  |     Beginning of Wisdom "     |