Re: git & Debian packaging sprint report

Russ Allbery writes:
> Ansgar Burchardt <ansgar@debian.org> writes:
>> The client tool could possibly also just create the .dsc and .changes,
>> except for hashes of the compressed files, and the web service just
>> recreate the tarball and compress them.
>
> I think experience with pristine-tar indicates that recreating tarballs is
> unfortunately not trivial.

pristine-tar tries to recreate an arbitrary tarball that was created by
a third-party; in this case both sides are controlled by the same party.
Using the uncompressed tarballs also avoids possible problems from the
compression algorithm.

This is a simpler problem than what pristine-tar tries to solve.

For upstream tarballs, one can fetch them from the upstream source if
matching the upstream release is desired.

Ansgar