Re: Preferred git branch structure when upstream moves from tarballs to git

On Mon, 2019-04-29 at 13:25 +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
> Look at the intro to each of these and see which one you think might
> be best:
>  https://manpages.debian.org/stretch-backports/dgit/dgit-maint-merge.7.en.html
>  https://manpages.debian.org/stretch-backports/dgit/dgit-maint-debrebase.7.en.html
>  https://manpages.debian.org/stretch-backports/dgit/dgit-maint-gbp.7.en.html
>  https://manpages.debian.org/stretch-backports/dgit/dgit-maint-native.7.en.html

Are there any docs/advice on switching back and forth between these (or
at least switching between dgit-maint-merge and one of the patch
queueish ones)?

When trying to chose I seem to find myself thinking along the lines
"merge would be fine right now, but whatif..." or "I have a big queue
now which isn't going anyway but I really hope it will go away
(eventually)".

I'm not thinking anyone would flip regularly or anything, but just
knowing that flipping between them in something approaching a sane way
was possible at all would give some confidence to make a choice in the
here and now without getting too paralysed by the need to make a
decision.

I think (but don't know) that the answer is that if your queue drops to
zero you have effectively flipped back to the dgit-maint-merge world.
If you find you want to go the other way then I'm less clear (except
perhaps that is `git debrebase convert-from-dgit-view` and then commit
to non-debian/ as usual?).

Ian.