Re: Policy and procedures issue: init package hijacked via hostile NMU (declined by maintainers)

On Sat, Dec 22, 2018 at 10:11:53AM -0800, Josh Triplett wrote:
> Please note in the following mail that I'm raising this *exclusively* as a
> policy and procedures issue, *not* a technical issue. I would request that
> people *please* focus on the policy and procedures issue, and keep any proposed
> technical solutions to the specific problem at hand

[big snip]

> As such, the Essential init package seems to have been hijacked by a
> hostile NMU refused by the maintainer. This NMU and its hijacking of the
> package was not discussed anywhere else (such as -devel or -ctte), was
> not approved by anyone else, and appears to be effectively a unilateral
> action on the package regarding a wishlist bug.

I'm afraid I see your particular group of packages being quite notorious wrt
taking months to answer to simple questions.  I understand that you're
overworked, but with the effects such delays have, some people might indeed
think some ill intention is involved.

Thus, what procedures would you have in mind?

This question happens to not live in vacuum -- I was contemplating
escalating another issue (#915407) myself, possibly also even to a NMU (per
the policy rule quoted in this thread).  Thus, it would be a good example
case to discuss, and to agree on a procedure that would be more palatable
to everyone involved.

This particular issue for example, besides mere discussions, had a set of
testable patches+packages available in January, then in June, followed by
work in Oct-Nov, finally this bug+patch on Dec 03.  Yet I see no answer
after Ansgar's comment, nor an action -- and the time for Buster is ticking.

Even worse, this dependency is merely a piece of a longer chain -- but at
least, to my knowledge, other changes would be restricted to a single stack
rather than a lot of packages with only a vague relation to pam.

Thus, a timely answer would be greatly appreciated.

Meow!
--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Ivan was a worldly man: born in St. Petersburg, raised in