Re: Let's start salvaging packages!

gregor herrmann <gregoa@debian.org> writes:

> On Sun, 29 Jul 2018 17:40:49 +0800, Tobias Frost wrote:
>
>> A package is eligible for salvaging if it is in clear need of some love
>> and care, i.e. there are open bugs, missing upstream releases, or there
>> is work needed from a quality-assurance perspective; AND there is the
>> need to upload the package to deal with these issues; AND at least one
>> of these criteria applies:

[...]

> I think that's maybe a bit too complicated.
> It all makese sense somehow in itself (and I guess I was involved in
> coming up with these conditions some years ago) but reading it I have
> the impression that I'll never remember it and will have to very
> carefully and concentrated re-read it in every case where I might
> want to salvage a package and hope that I get the result of several
> ANDs and ORs right.

I sympathize with wanting simpler conditions (they did get simpler
during debcamp), and it might be that these can further simplified
without harming anything. On the other hand, at least for me, one of the
main motivations is to make this process accessible to new contributors
to Debian. In this context I think it is much better to explicit, both
to shield would be salvagers from negative reactions and to shield
package maintainers from "unreasonable" [1] salvaging attempts.

[1]: the scare quotes acknowledge that the current discussion is rooted
in the idea of package ownership, and doesn't seek to radically change
that notion.