Re: New lintian warning: vcs-deprecated-in-debian-infrastructure

Joerg Jaspert <joerg@debian.org> writes:
> packages.d.o/packagename and you are there. Nothing else needed.

packages.d.o does not provide a canonical URL for the repository.

It is even more difficult: I have first to select the package name, then
select the distribution, go to the tracker.d.o, and select one of the
VCS links.

Also tracker.d.o does not have a canonical URL for this (which would IMO
be a more natural place): I can't just do a

git clone https://tracker.debian.org/<<package>>/vcs

or put

Vcs-Browser: https://tracker.debian.org/<<package>>

into d/control (and be safe against future changes of the location).

> Even independent of the underlying vcs, not hardcoded to git or one
> provider of hosting it.

Given the fact that nobody strongly questioned the limitation of
salsa.d.o to git (and therefore the requirement to migrate from other
VCSs), I would have no objection against git.d.o -- if using
programmatically (f.e. via Python) you anyway rely on the specific VCS
API.

Best

Ole