Re: Removing packages perhaps too aggressively?

On Sat, Feb 03, 2018 at 02:01:38AM -0500, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> On Saturday, February 03, 2018 08:20:02 AM Adrian Bunk wrote:
> > Making RM requests as visible as orphaned packages
> > (e.g. in a weekly debian-devel post) would help here.
>
> So your in favor of shaming DDs to improve their behavior?

I can't speak as to Adrian's intent, but from my perspective it's not
about shaming, but about awareness.

On more than one occasion, packages that I use have (from my perspective) just
disappeared from unstable without warning.  After some investigation, I
discover that they were removed months ago (with no RFH, RFA, or O bugs
filed).  Had I been aware of an issue prior to the packages being
removed, there's a good chance I would have stepped up and either
offered assistance or taken over maintenance (as circumstances dictated).

I can't realistically follow every single package I use - the amount of
email traffic would be unmanageable.  But I read the WNPP email every single
week and always consider if there's something I can/should act on.

So while adding RMs to WNPP (or something similar) may not be the
perfect solution, I think it would go a long way to solving this issue
for a lot of people.

Just my 2 cents.

Bill