Re: Let's enable AppArmor by default (why not?)

intrigeri <intrigeri@debian.org> writes:

> You surely could, but reimplementing exactly the same protections is
> probably not the best use of your time.

> Now, each of systemd and AppArmor can do hardening stuff that the
> other doesn't support (at all or nicely), so sometimes it's good to do
> a little bit of both.

> What I would do these days:

> 1. Use the simplest of systemd's hardening features (e.g.
>    Protect{Home,System}=, Private{Devices,Tmp,Network}=,
>    CapabilityBoundingSet=) to their full extend.

>    Not many unit files we ship do that yet. Generally these
>    improvements can be implemented upstream and benefit users of
>    systemd on other distros :)

To this, I would add SystemCallFilters, which is immensely powerful and
much easier to use now than it was originally.  I think a lot of the
benefit of hardening for a lot of network daemons would come from tested
use of SystemCallFilters (probably only using the @group syntax).  This
blocks so many local privilege escalation bugs in random Linux syscalls,
making an RCE in a daemon running as a non-root user much less scary.

(For those not familiar, this is seccomp filtering, except about as easy
to use as seccomp can be.  It's not as good as a carefully crafted full
seccomp policy, but you can get quite a bit of mileage out of some fairly
simple rules.)

Note that SystemCallFilters was very difficult to use in jessie since the
syscall groups weren't implemented yet.  I would not recommend trying to
use it if targeting anything older than stretch.

> 2. For finer-grained mediation of filesystem access, I will use
>    AppArmor that I find much nicer to implement, use and debug:

Agreed -- AppArmor seems to offer much more granular control over file
system access in a way that's quite a bit easier to configure.
ProtectSystem is great, but the bits that list specific files or paths are
somewhat harder to use and less useful.