Re: Thinking about a "jessie and a half" release

> Problem 2: CPU's built-in graphics work badly. I tried with kernel 4.5
> and with kernel option i915.preliminary_hw_support=1 (as someone
> suggested). Couldn't start X window system. Fortunately I have better
> graphics card so I don't care that much about the built-in one. Skylake
> graphics probably need some yet unreleased kernel version.

It's not just the kernel that affects graphics. libdrm,
xserver-xorg-video-intel, xserver itself (to an extent required by the
intel driver) and mesa all play an important role there. The
Xorg.0.log might contain some explanations. Skylake support was deemed
stable (not preliminary) in kernel 4.3, so the option would not have
an affect.

With recent software the intel driver is strictly not necessary
anymore, as the generic modesetting driver with glamor acceleration
also works well.

-Timo