Re: default softphone in Debian stretch

On 14/01/16 17:10, Iain R. Learmonth wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Jan 12, 2016 at 10:42:06AM +0100, Daniel Pocock wrote:
>> Nothing really changed, the thread appeared to fizzle out with comments
>> from more than one person that Debian would ship whatever was
>> recommended by the desktop maintainers / GNOME upstream[2]
>
> I think for the best desktop integration, there shouldn't be a default for
> Debian, but rather a default for each desktop environment.
>
> It would make sense that if upstreams for desktop environments do not
> recommend a softphone, that Debian includes a softphone with the desktop
> environment's task package that is suitable for each desktop environment.

That is the current situation

The problem with this approach is that because it is just a component of
something larger (like Empathy is part of GNOME), it is not getting
dedicated support, it is more like they ship it as part of GNOME to tick
the "has a softphone" checkbox.

Furthermore, if each desktop supplied a different softphone and they
didn't all work with each other, their usefulness is dramatically
reduced (think Metcalfe's law in reverse).  Debian can make a bigger
impact in this area by ensuring that users can freely talk to each
other, whether using GNOME, KDE or whatever else.

Regards,

Daniel