Re: Using clean build scripts from pkg-ruby-extras repo

On Mon, 28 Nov 2016 at 12:57:35 +0530, Pirate Praveen wrote:
> Features:
> 1. It will build in a clean chroot using sbuild,
> 2. it will run autopkgtest in an lxc container,
> 3. it will offer to run autopkgtest of any or all reverse dependencies,
> 4. it will also offer to rebuild all or any reverse build dependencies.

Over the next few weeks I intend to try to get a release out for my
build tool Vectis (ITP: <https://bugs.debian.org/843486>), which does
builds in a virtual machine using a clean sbuild chroot. Its aim is to
have the equivalent of your ./setup step run in a throwaway virtual
machine (prepared using vmdebootstrap and autopkgtest-virt-qemu's setup
script), so that the entire build environment can be refreshed at any time
and without being root (you only need to be root once, to run vmdebootstrap
and get an autopkgtest VM, and even that can be avoided if you have an
out-of-band way to download a known-good VM image).

Running autopkgtests, either directly in a VM for the desired target
system or in LXC under a Debian stable VM, is also on the to-do list.

(The reason one might want to run autopkgtests under LXC even though VM
isolation is available is to make sure they will pass on ci.debian.net,
which uses LXC - one of my design principles here is to try to ensure
that anything that works in Vectis will also work on real Debian
infrastructure.)

Your recursive rebuild/test of rdeps is an interesting feature that I
hadn't thought of, and I'll look into adding that at some point.