Re: libc recently more aggressive about pthread locks in stable ?

On Tue, Nov 8, 2016, at 15:39, Ian Jackson wrote:
> Henrique de Moraes Holschuh writes ("Re: libc recently more aggressive
> about pthread locks in stable ?"):
> > That said, I am not going to propose any changes to the glibc blacklist
> > at this time, unless new information about how well Intel TSX really
> > works in Broadwell becomes available.
>
> So you think that the situation with jessie is OK ?

I better clarify what I meant, sorry about that.

Please take my comment above as in "I am not going to request that the
Broadwell blacklist in glibc be reduced at this time" just because we
got a microcode update that likely fixes any lingering defects in
Broadwell Intel TSX or properly disables it.

I.e. my comment was about the correctness of the Intel TSX
implementation in up-to-date Broadwell, and not about the misuse of the
libpthreads API that causes programs with shoddy/broken locking to crash
with a SIGSEGV.

I don't think the situation in jessie is OK in the "things that misuse
libpthreads will crash" sense.  However, without some sort of test run,
we don't know how bad it really is, either.  I fear it might be bad, but
I would love to be pleasantly surprised that people did get libpthreads
locking right most of the time...

--
  Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@debian.org>