Re: Intended MBF: maintainer scripts not starting on #!

Hi Ralf,

On Fri, Nov 04, 2016 at 09:22:02PM +0100, Ralf Treinen wrote:
> in the Colis project (which aims at analyzing maintainer scripts) we
> found 39 maintainer scripts in stable which do not start on #!. The
> list is attached. Policy 6.1 says about maintainer scripts:
>
>   if they are scripts (which is recommended), they must start with the
>   usual #! convention.
>
> Any objection against filing bugs against the offending packages? Since
> policy says "must", severity=serious would be in order, right?

I think you should file these bugs in unstable only, and with a severity
of important.

I guess why "unstable" is clear, so why "important": basically, it's a policy
violation, it clearly is utterly wrong and should be fixed, but the user
impact is low. My reference for this are piuparts bugs, where a package
leaves files behind after purge, which I also file as "important".
Another guidance is the question: would it be the right thing to do, not
to ship this package in stable because of this policy violation? (Policy
is a tool, not the bible.)

(I believe there are some other categories of (clearly policy violating) bugs
which I file as important (so neither serious nor normal) but it's too late
and can't think of more examples right now. Basically because of what Russ wrote.
I guess there are also minor policy violating bugs…)

Finally, I would be glad if could file a bug against lintian, to prevent these from
coming back in the future.

--
cheers,
	Holger