Re: unattended-upgrades by default?

On Thu, Nov 03, 2016 at 06:47:28PM +0000, Steve McIntyre wrote:
> To solve the issue and provide security updates by default, I'm
> proposing that we should switch to installing unattended-upgrades by
> default (and enabling it too)

Please do. I've been doing this for ages on all my Debian machines, and
never regretted it.

Yes, in some cases you do not want unattended-upgrades for reasons like
those you mentioned, but those are the special cases, not the default.
We should just prominently document the change, so that users that need
to avoid unattended-upgrades know how to do so.

Thanks for bringing up this topic,
Cheers.
--
Stefano Zacchiroli . zack@upsilon.cc . upsilon.cc/zack . . o . . . o . o
Computer Science Professor . CTO Software Heritage . . . . . o . . . o o