Re: Static linking and fPIC (Was: Re: "PIE by default" transition is underway -- wiki needs updating)

On Mon, Oct 31, 2016 at 03:23:51PM +0100, Bálint Réczey wrote:
> Hi Ian,

> >> I ran the build tests on amd64, this is why I have not caught this error.
> >> A rebuild of lua5.1 should fix the problem.
> >>
> >> Dpkg changes are on their way, too in the next days. I would ask
> >> for a binNMU after dpkg is updated.
> >
> > Thanks, to check I understand: I should wait for #835146 to be fixed in
> > sid (which is expected to happen via a dpkg upload in the next days)
> > and then ask for a binNMU of lua5.1 then qcontrol (or maybe I have
> > reason to upload a newer qcontrol anyway, we'll see)?
>
> Yes, this should fix qcontrol and maybe you don't even have to ask for
> rebuilds.  I think there is already an archive-wide rebuild planned to
> make reproducibility-related changes in dpkg take effect thus I suggest
> waiting a few days to see if you need to ask for binNMUs.

I do not see any reason for waiting instead of sending the binNMU
request right now.

Based on the error message the only problem for qcontrol is that the
LUA 5.1 static library has not been compiled with the toolchain that
defaults to PIE, and the one and only change required to fix the build
of qcontrol should therefore be to request a binNMU of lua5.1

> Cheers,
> Balint

cu
Adrian